Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Going Green in Portland!

Dominic and I have just arrived home from a whirlwind trip to Portland, Oregon for an Environmental Science conference in which Dominic was presenting some research. It was such a perfect city for this conference because the entire city is sooooo green and environmentally friendly. The wide use of paper bags vs. plastic bags, the free train system and the abundance of bike lanes and biker friendly signs throughout the city was amazing and definitely a model green city. 

And what is more green than vintage clothing. They have the most amazing selection of vintage clothing stores with such a  wide selection of vintage goods. I however did not buy anything vintage as I was more focussed on the fact that there is no sales tax in the entire state. So I went for the big ticket items and bought a pair of amazing J-Brand jeans.  

I thought that the coolest feature of the city was by far the existence of food stalls which are located throughout the city. The options sold out of the food carts are endless with everything from Mexican, to Egyptian, to vegetarian, to Thai. We had a great time sampling as many food carts as we would. My favorite however was the Thai food which was way more authentic and cheaper than anything I have ever had in Canada.
Dominic in all his charm!!

Food Carts!!! Yumm!!

Although I do love good food, clothes are always on my mind. And after doing some research on Portland, I found out about this amazing little cart that rather than food, sold vintage clothing. Taking their cue from Portland's abundant food carts, The Wanderlust Mobile Cart, decided that the next logical step would be to have a stall that sold vintage clothing and hand made goods. Complete with a tiny dressing room and a store full of neat goods, the cart can easily change locations and will be moving through out the country. Although I kept my eye out for the cute little store, I sadly did not end up seeing it. Maybe next time. 



Cheers,
Karen

13 comments:

  1. How fun! I have a friend who is from Portland and she is always telling me about the quirks about the city - and your post just verifies that! I love love love Thai food and your take-out photo is making my mouth water!

    Looks like absolute fun! Maybe you will find the truck another time?
    XOXO,
    style activist

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Dom in all his charm....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog, Karen! I'm glad you did, because it led me to yours! I've never been to Portland (or the west coast, for that matter), but I'd really love to visit! And it looks like you and Dominic had a great time!

    Also, looook at all the pretty vintage clothes! Love the photo with the tags hanging. I'd frame it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These food shops and the mobile vintage store are sooo cute!

    Love, Lena!

    styleloverlena.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh thank you for your lovely comment on my blog, btw I love yours!! You've got a new follower! :)
    Never been to Portland or the USA, so I love reading about it. :)
    XX, Ana

    http://fashionflyy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for your lovely comment! You have a really nice blog! I will follow you! Hope you will follow me back!

    From Munich with Love

    Angie Aquarius -> http://munichstylelover.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh god, I will probably broke if i go there, I love food, I love clothes, and probably will be end up buying tons of souvenirs, I want to go there!!!!
    Now following
    <3
    http://reserveradefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. a mobile vintage shop - how awesome!
    sounds like it was a fun trip, i'd love to visit oregon someday!

    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  9. look like u had a great time overthere!
    :D

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello pretty!
    Thank you for your sweet comment in my post.
    Your blog is very cute! :)
    kisses
    http://cafe-boucle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you've had a lot of fun :)
    I love all the images - very vintage/retro :D
    great blog! FOLLOWING!
    i'd be lovely if you followed me too, id really appreciate it ♥

    www.standupforstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. how fun!! i love quirky little places like this food court and fashion cart!

    rockoomph.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your thoughts!! I love reading them!!!

 
Free Hit Counter