Sunday, January 03, 2010

The Rainbow Rug

My mom got me this braided rug for Christmas. It is hand made by a lady in Naicam (which is a town near where I am from).

These kinds of rugs are a dying tradition and I that is why I was so excited when I saw this one. This praire tradition was initiated by women trying to keep the floors of their homes warm. While these women made their rugs in many different shapes and sizes, as to cover as much floor space as possible, they are now typically made into a circle or an oval.  In the days of the settlers, the rugs were made out of scrap peices of material, today however the use of new materials has allowed for new color combinations giving the rugs a modern edge.

I just love the way the colors transition from one to the next on my rug. It is so colorful that you can't help smile when you see it. If I ever find the time, I would love to learn how to make these beautfiul but useful peices of art.

Bye for now,
Karen

P.S - Those are my favorite pair of my ruby red Repettos (a shoe company from France that orginally began designing shoes for Danceing including jazz, tap and ballet).






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your thoughts!! I love reading them!!!

 
Free Hit Counter